common questions + objections

responding to prospective tenants

Getting to know the ins and outs of a new tenant insurance program can take some time, and we don’t expect your team to become experts overnight. Likewise, any time there are changes afoot, you may find that your tenants come bearing an overwhelming number of questions and concerns. As your partner, we strive to set you up for success, which is why we’ve compiled a list of some of these commonly asked questions, or objections that your employees may encounter. Our goal is to leave your team feeling confident and able to provide your tenants with essential information regarding the general parameters of their new coverage, and to feel prepared to handle objections, should they arise.

Why Should I take Coverage?

Our tenants are required to have some form of insurance on their unit’s contents in order to rent a unit at our facility. The program we offer is from an A rated, admitted insurance carrier. You are issued an insurance certificate which provides you with the broadest coverage and lowest deductible ($100). The insurance premium is paid monthly along with your rent. A Fortegra Insurance Policy can also be a duplication of coverage with any other form of coverage you may have and can help cover the gap of your high homeowners policy.

My items aren’t very valuable. I don’t think i need insurance...

For your protection and ours, our facility requires our tenants to carry some form of insurance coverage on each unit they rent regardless of the unit’s contents.

What if I pay 6 months in advance and move out after 3?

As long as you move out before the start of your next billing cycle, we will refund any unearned premium.

If I move in the middle of a month, does my premium get prorated?

1st of the month billing does prorate on move-in, but we do not prorate on move-out.

Why are you just now making insurance mandatory?

Our rental agreement states that all tenants are required to maintain some form of insurance coverage for their property while stored at our facility. Thus far, it is out of good faith that we assumed you were in compliance with your lease agreement. For your protection and ours, and because this is a site policy, we are now making sure insurance is in place for all of our units.

Is there a deductible?

Yes, and it’s only $100. With a policy through Sage’s tenant insurance program, when you use a cylinder or disc lock, your $100 deductible is waived only in the event of a burglary. A homeowners policy deductible can range anywhere from $1,000 – $1,500.

What is the difference between burglary and theft?

Burglary means stealing property by  means of forcible entry into a securely locked storage space, whereas theft does not require forcible entry. Theft and mysterious disappearance are not covered under this.

It seems expensive...

This insurance policy was created to provide an affordable solution to your alternative, which is a very expensive homeowners policy. The sage insurance policy provides the broadest coverage at the lowest premium and deductible.

What does the insurance cover?

Policy protects you against damage to, or loss of, your eligible stored property from a broad range of causes, including but not limited to; fire, limited water damage, and burglary. You may reference the actual policy for a complete list of covered causes of loss and eligible property, which is available on the insurance carrier’s website.

Is flooding covered?

As with most homeowners policies, damage from flood or rising water is not covered under this policy. Flood insurance is available from the Federal Government.

What is the maximum amount of coverage I can get?

The maximum amount of coverage offered through our on-site program is $10,000 per unit. All property in excess of $5,000 requires pre-approval from the sage. You must submit a completed inventory form to sage in order to receive higher coverage limits.

When does coverage begin and end?

Coverage begins when you complete and sign the participation form, pay your first month’s premium, and move your property into the unit. Property is also covered while in transit to and within 100 miles of our facility. Your coverage is pay-as-you-go, based on monthly renewal. Coverage ends when you terminate your lease and move out.

Shouldn’t my homeowners insurance cover this?

Some homeowners policies cover property you have in storage, and some do not. Also, certain types of property you have stored might not be covered by a homeowners policy. Check with your agent to see what your homeowners policy does and does not cover. You can always choose to opt out of our on-site program with proof of a current and valid renter, business or homeowners policy. If you don’t have a certificate of coverage on you at the time of rental, I will sign you up with the minimum coverage through our on-site program today, and once you can provide it, I will cancel this program’s certificate.

What are the benefits of having double coverage?

Often, customers who store their goods are moving and are between homes. As a result, they may not have a homeowners, renters or other insurance policy in effect to protect their storage goods. Even when they do, these policies often restrict the amount of coverage for goods stored away from the insured residence. Some homeowners insurance policies will not cover losses of your belongings when they are stored at a self-storage facility or the deductible is higher than the value of your stored belongings.

Other additional benefits: protection for property-in-transit, substitute storage rental expense, debris removal, no deductible for burglary claims when an approved lock is used.

licensing + mailings

a seamless switch

training materials

tools to sell, tools to succeed

claims + compliance

wash your hands, put up your feet

marketing materials

bad design is bad business

Interested in More Revenue?

Interested in More Revenue?

enter the number of storage units your facility has and let us show you what you’re missing…


I'm interested!